English Idiom Daily - I'm not My Brother's Keeper

You are not responsible for another person’s doings or whereabouts.

Example:
Brian: I want you to know that John has stolen a bottle of alcohol at the supermarket.
Marry: As well, I want you to know that I’m not my brother’s keeper!
Brian: But....
Marry: Once again, he has left us in such a bad condition. I am not my brother's keeper. No matter what he does, I don't care!
 
Did you know?
The idiom is actually derived from a Bible’s verse saying, “And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?” In the current use, the American President Barrack Obama said the contrary as saying, “I am my brother’s keeper” that refers to his policy in “ordering the American to do ‘forced-charity.’”

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit. Wish you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story ... it reminds me about some other story...

    Audience (shouting): Goooaaaalllll...
    Player 1 : Why don't you catch that ball?
    Someone : Who cares? I'm not the goal-keeper...
    Player 1 : ...???...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ana Cristina: Hello Ana... Thank you for coming :) Wish you a happy day too :)

    @Salon Oyah: LOL... You did it well :)

    ReplyDelete